Friday, March 1, 2013

The Tryout

The gym was packed. This was the second day of tryouts, I was unsure of how many there were yesterday, I didn't ask anybody, it didn't really matter anyway. Tonight it seemed like there were 100 people in the gym, but there were probably 30-40, I'm not sure, maybe less, definitely not more than 40, maybe even less than 30, again I'm not sure, but it didn't really matter. Syd called us in and broke it down. Burpees, 1-2-1(jab-right-jab) combos on the heavy bag, step-ups, then shark tank(sparring where you are surrounded by a whole ring of fighters and a fresh person is sent in to throw multiple punches and you must defend yourself). Syd set the standard numbers that were required to make the team automatically. IF you could do 75 burpees in 3 minutes(my record is 75), IF you could do 180 1-2-1 combos on the bag in 2 minutes(my record is 154) and IF you could do 70 step-ups in a minute, take 30 seconds rest then do another 70 in a minute(my record in a minute is 71)...If you hit these standard numbers you make the team AUTOMATICALLY. If not, you rely on shark tank....I'll spare you the drama.

I did 88 burpees, 174 1-2-1 combos, and 71 step-ups in the 1rst min, 70 in the 2nd min. I didn't hit the numbers I needed to make the team automatically, I fell 6 1-2-1 combos short. But I got my personal best numbers in everything, except the step-ups where I tied my best in the 1 rst minute and dug down deep to do 70 the next minute after only 30 seconds rest. Even though I didn't gain exemption after the physical testing I was unsure of how everyone else did, but just from hearing the numbers that were being called out it certainly felt like people were doing well. I was partnered with Devin(we counted for each other) I only knew how HE did, and he smashed every test, 88 burpees, 190 1-2-1s(I think) and 82 and 81 step ups respectively. My man. Devin shined, and I'm proud of him, and happy that he made the team, I expected no less from him. So I would need sharktank to score well. My legs were cramped up after the step-ups, I really gave it all I had, I was in a little trouble going into sharktank. I have no excuses though, I had ample rest before it was my turn, my heart was there, I just didn't recover in time.

Everyone did extremely well in sharktank too. When it was my turn, I was a little unfocused, trying to ignore the cramps in my legs.THEN I took a shot to the body by Roman Szlek(won Gold last year) and it knocked the wind out of me and took what little I had left in my legs, I've taken hard body shots before, but nothing like this, I couldn't breathe and stuggled to stand. But I didn't go down and didn't take a knee( I definitely felt like doing it) and although it wasn't the performance I was looking for, I finished the round standing and it might've looked bad to others but it was a proud moment for me personally. I showed heart, I think I did a good job of shielding how hurt I really was.

I was impressed with all the candidates and everyone that tried out, I felt like everyone brought their A-Game and it was good to see. You could tell how bad the guys(and girls) wanted it. The team gets posted monday, and I want to congratulate those that made the team automatically(there's a good chance that 16 people did for sure) and for those that didn't and maybe waiting for monday, keep your head up, be proud of your efforts, and no matter what, do your best to make OUR team, the BBSV team the best it can be in the upcoming weeks leading to the tournament. Remember that you are still representing Team Destiny, inside AND outside the ring, no matter if you are on the squad that goes to GoldenGloves, or if you are not.

On a personal note. I want to thank Lucas and Erika for so many things but spefically today for getting me as ready as I could be. I want to thank Syd too, for all his help, and for giving me an opportunity to do this. It was really fun. I want to also thank all those who sent me well wishes, I know some of you knew how imporatant this was to me. I know there are some looking down on me too, I know they will continue to give me that extra breath, that extra 20 seconds whenever I can't. In the grand scheme of things, I guess today doesn't matter, not compared to where I want to go in boxing. But actually EVERYTHING matters, which is why it is important to TRY. Try your best, at any and everything you do. That's what life is about, trying. I did that today, and for that, I'm proud.