Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Day For Me To Smile

Before the tryouts last thursday, I came to terms. Although I knew that it would mean a lot to me to make the team, I also knew that my chances were small and that it wouldn't matter either way, my pursuit of my dream would still be on, so going into the tryouts my mindset was to not let the result determine my attitude going forward. Besides there are so many good boxers at our gym, there would be no shame in not making it.

A day after the tryouts, and the days coming into monday(the day the team would be posted) I was at peace with things. I did my best, got personal bests in everything, looked bad in sparring, got hurt bad(body is now bruised where I took the shot and experiencing some internal pain) but knew that I didn't take a knee, I didn't go down when I could've, when I know that many would have. Out of everything I took out of it, I took that. But I honestly felt that I didn't make the team, so when monday came, I went to the gym, trained with Lucas, got my work in and left. I didn't inquire about who made the team, in fact Lucas and I had a brief discussion, he even suggested that nothing had been determined yet. It didn't matter, my mind was actually on Denton, he was fighting the most important fight of his life, a fight that if he would won would change his immediate future in boxing, he would win the North American title, and he would then contend for a world title. If he won. I was nervous. I also felt the nerves of everyone at the gym, I would be corresponding with Jags with updates, and I could feel her anxiety along with EVERYONE at the gym. It was nervous time. Denton has meant so much to me as a boxer and friend, he has meant so much to everyone at BBSV. It would also be huge for Syd. And we all know how important Syd is to everyone in the community, especially his BBSV family. So actually, all my focus was on Denton's fight, I wanted him to win so badly, I was nervous.

Then I get sent 2 pictures on my phone. One was from Jags(Eryn Aguiar, runs BBSV) it was a picture of my friend D-Mac down on one knee, the other photo was from D-Mac, explaining why. It was a photo of the list of fighters that were on the 2013 GoldenGloves Team, my name was on it. I made the team. With a msg from D-Mac expressing his happiness that we were now officially teammates. For those of you that have followed my journey, you'll remember that D-Mac and I fought in my first and only exhibition fight. We've been close friends ever since. Devin also just avenged a loss on Sunday, he won a fight. So we were celebrating on many levels. Out of respect for my fellow BBSV boxers, I didn't want to blog, I know that they read it, and I have so much love and respect for them, they deserved to be on the team too. Everyone worked so hard and gave it everything they had, poored their heart and soul into that gym, into that tryout, we were all champions, regardless of who made that list. But I can't lie, I was happy, and I was emotional. Very. When I think of this journey, all the ups and mostly downs, everything that I have been through...There isn't much time to celebrate however, there is much work to be done, and it appears I have an injury, but Dr T will access that tomorrow, anyways, I've been in worse pain, I'm...used to it. If I've grown accustomed to anything, it's pain.

I allowed myself to be emotional for a bit, but my attention was quickly shifted to Dangerous Denton Daley. My friend, our friend. Someone we all look up to at the gym, we all love him. We've all seen him work his ass off, we've seen him help so many people, including me(Denton cornered my fight against Devin) he's always been there for me, ever since I joined the gym. He has time for everyone, he represents the gym and the community with class. Denton is our pride and joy. He's an extension of Syd, a champion in every way just like Syd was, like Syd is. Yesterday was a day I'll never forget, it was one of the happiest days of my life, I watched my friend and idol display an unreal show of boxing, it was an honour to be there, an honour to share the moment with THE NEW NABF CHAMPION, Dentooooooon, Dangerooooous, Daaaaaaaleeeeeey. 10 rounds to zero, he won.