Thursday, February 28, 2013

GoldenGloves

The Golden Gloves Championships is the premier championship tournament for the OBA(Ontario Boxing Association) All the best boxing clubs in Ontario compete and Team Destiny( Syd's Gym/team) is expected to win every year. This year BBSV will be sending 16 boxers to represent our club, the tryouts to make the team have been spread over 2 days, my tryout is tonite at 830.

Syd came to me in Dec, and told me that this is something I should shoot for. Although he described it as a 'lofty' goal, he also believes in setting high goals, so this is something that I have been preparing for and looking forward to.

My boxing has been coming along great, since I have made the decision to adjust my career path and focus on my training, my fundamentals, technique and defence have improved tremendously(if you ask me at least!) and I've made great strides in my conditioning, especially when sparring. Although controlling my anxiety and breathing while I'm sparring or in any pressure situation is an issue, I'm determined to overcome it, and as frustrating as it has been for me(I'm not close to where I should be or need to be) I AM improving, litttle by little. My conditioning is only exposed when I'm under pressure, and unable to breath efficiently. This happens when I'm nervous, and when I'm boxing, I'm always nervous.

I will be nervous tonight, I will have anxiety. Even though I know that this eats away at my energy, at this point I can only embrace the challenge, and attempt to overcome it. I think that 'choking' under pressure has been something that has happened much too often. Everytime I'm in a position to 'show Syd something', I have choked. But confidence comes from preparation, knowing that you put in the work. I've been putting in the work. I'm in a good situation, I've had my best week of training coming into the tryouts and ...I've got nothing to lose.

I'll admit I've put a lot of pressure on myself. If I make the team, it would mean so much to me, it would mean so many things. It would mean I'm good enough, it would mean Syd thinks I'm good enough, it would represent the hard work I've put in and the sacrafices I've made, I would mean I'd be part of a team, a team of great young people that I respect and admire, and of course...it would mean I would get to compete, it would mean I get to fight.

Truthfully though, in the grand scheme of things, I know it will be difficult, and, make it or not, it doesn't change my goals, or my training or my belief in what I'm doing. No matter what happens, after today, I still plan on working hard towards my dream and to help our team prepare for GoldenGloves in any way I can. I know that much of this is out of my control, but I can provide leadership through my work ethic, and push myself and the others as much as possible, I can help the team with my attitude and my actions in the gym, whether I am on the team or not.

I will absolutely enjoy my attempt tonight, I'm doing what I love to do, and just being given the opportunity to be part of this great team of young people is a true blessing in itself. So I will stress to you that the outcome is not important, that making the team doesn't make or break anything, I will continue to work towards my dream no matter what. BUT...wish me luck anyway.