Friday, March 15, 2013

The Future...

It's been a little over a week since Denton's fight and the news of making the GoldenGloves team. Things are still pretty exciting, it was an exciting week. I've had a chance to reflect on Denton's big win, I've also had a chance to spend time with the champ and get his insight on his fight, boxing, life, his and mine, and really just enjoy his company as a friend. But truthfully most of the time we spend together is spent talking about boxing, which both of us could do all day. There is such a humility in him that is admirable, here he is, at a huge turning point in his career, coming off the biggest most significant win in his life, yet, he is constantly trying to help me, give me guidance and advice, doing whatever he can to see to it that I reach my dream. Selfless. Along with spending time with Denton, I was also humbled today, by a group of youngsters I had the privilege of spending time with this week. They, along with Denton, gave me another reminder about what life is all about, what I am here for, what we all are here for...

There is something so magical that happens when you spend time with kids. When you share a smile or a laugh with a young person, it is so genuine, so innocent, so pure. They can't easily hide things. If they are upset, happy, tired, bored, you know it, instantly. They haven't learned the art of "BS" yet. You always know where you stand with a kid, if you don't know how they feel by looking at them, just ask them, they'll tell you. I had a great opportunity this week. There was a march break camp for kids at the gym, and I assisted in teaching the kids some boxing. We really had fun. Today I had a chance to talk with them though. We gathered around and I told them about my journey, how I arrived at this point in my life and why boxing is so important to me. I suppose the discussion was meant to inspire them, but ironically, it was them that inspired me. I got a chance to know them, what their dreams are, the things they like, we talked about god, and how they pray, we talked about the importance of helping people, and to always do your best. I was amazed at their answers, how insightful they were, but mostly I was inspired by how grateful they were for the things they have in life, and how much thought they gave to those around the world that were not as fortunate. I have really been focused on my efforts in training for the GoldenGloves tournament. So many people have congratulated me, people are happy for me, people are proud. I admit I've taken satisfaction and pride in making the team. I'm looking forward to my first fight, the official start of my competitive journey. All this credit and reward has been given to me, it's easy to forget the reason that I started this jouney in the first place...

A simple life. Live a good one. Live it clean. Do your best. Before you leave, leave it better than you left it. How do we do that? We teach our young. What do we teach them? I suppose that's different from person to person. We all have different gifts, we all have special qualities, we're not all the same, we all have something different to pass on, we all feel that there are certain things that are important in life, some, more than others. We all want our youth to do better than us. They are our future. We want something out of them. How do we get them to do it? How do we get them to believe us? I think, we show them. If I only had one thing to tell a child, it would be this. Dream. Dream big. Dream and don't let anyone or anything stop you from going after it. As long as you are not hurting anyone else, pursue your dream to the end, until it's achieved. So for me, it's easy. How could I tell a child to go after their dream if I don't go after mine. Boxing brings out the best in me. The people in my life, everyone I meet that becomes part of my life, they all deserve the best in me. Whatever I can give.

These youngsters really taught me something today. It's a responsibility we all have, to make ourselves better, to guide our youth through our actions, to help them help others, to achieve their dreams, to make the world a better place, through love and the old fashioned method of trying. I really feel grateful that I met these young people this week, their smiles, their laughter, their energy, it helped me gain even more clarity in what I'm doing, and the reasons I'm doing it. More importantly, it was a refreshing experience and reminder at how much joy it is to work with kids, how much you can give them, the knowledge, the wisdom, but really the best thing you can give them...is your time. And really, that was the best thing THEY gave me.