Thursday, September 6, 2012

Home Sweet Home

I just got back from spending 4 days in New York City, and truthfully I could probably spend the rest of the year blogging about it. One of the best times I've ever had. I've been to Las Vegas 9 times and hands down, NYC kills Vegas. The energy in New York is incredible, you could have an amazing time by simply walking the streets and meeting people. My trip consisted mostly of doing just that, meeting some incredible and interesting people and seeing a city that is so alive with energy, history , nostalgia and life. But the highlite of my trip by far, was visitng 'Gleason's' the legendary boxing gym in Brooklyn...

When I walked into Gleason's it was like being in a Rocky movie, 4 rings, a row of speedbag platforms, punching bags held together with duct tape, and equipment that might've been there from the first time the gym opened, many decades ago. The fighters, all sweat dripping, hard stares, ripped bodies, looking like they haven't eaten in days and you are a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken. (anyway, that's what I would eat) Hall of Famers have trained there, Zab Judah, Sugar Ray Leonard, Joe Frazier, Ali, Mike Tyson, Roy Jones Jr, the list goes on and on, including Canada's own, the 'Blood and Guts Warrior' Arturo Gatt (also one of my favorite fighters of all time). I got a chance to meet legendary trainer Hector Roca who has worked with many big names in boxing and Hollywood, most importantly trained Gatti for 14 years. I also was blessed to hear some stories from Roca about Gatti, DeLeHoya, and the Greatest Muhammad Ali. I also received some pointers from Roca after he watched me spar 4 rounds with trainer Elmo Serrano.
 The sparring was hilarious. although I am used to getting hit a lot and getting the worse end of every round I've ever sparred in, this was a unique experience. We had video of the event and when I got home I watched it over and I counted TWO punches that landed. Serrano landed about two...hundred. At least. I stopped counting after that! But I loved every second of it. The feeling of starting to throw a punch and seeing that your opponent is no longer there midway through the punch is a weird feeling, and knowing that you were going to get hit during the process was also very sensational. But even though I was thoroughly dominated I wasn't discouraged, I know that I will get to that level one day, I just don't know when. Hector and Elmo said pretty much the same things Syd has. I am not relaxed enough, causing me to not move quickly and to fatigue faster. I have a lot of power but it is not used properly and I try to punch too hard everytime. I have some raw ability they said and that they think that I can go far. They had so many positive things to say, and they belived that I have a lot of potential in boxing. Then they found out how old I am! Let's just say they it was pretty funny after that! Gleason's was unreal, I trained there all 3 days, including Monday before my flight, getting up at 5am after going to bed at 3. I loved it, Gleason's, man, I'll never forget it. But as much as I loved training at a legendary gym, getting advice from a legendary trainer, the next day I was back at Destiny's Gym, getting trained by the best trainer in the world Syd Vanderpool, and I was happy to be back in Waterloo, where, I am starting to feel like home...
 Syd is going to make this dream of mine come true, I have no doubt. The excitement I feel when I know I have a session with Syd is becoming routine. I think I am over trying to impress him everytime, I know certain things will happen, I'm going to learn, I'm going to be given something to master that I can work on by myself, and I am going to get better. Syd developes champions, not just boxers, he has a reputation to live up to, I'm not going to be the one that hurts that reputation. In fact, I believe quite the opposite, I believe I will be one of Syd's greatest accomplshments. I wouldn't be here otherwise. So it was back to work. I'm starting to get what Syd is looking for from me, what he wants to see. Slowly but surely, I know he has a plan, I'm trying to be patient(I'm sure Syd would disagree, as I ask him every 10 minutes when I can have a fight!),  I'm getting things, slowly, but I'm getting them. And slowly Syd and I are developing a bond, a boxer- trainer bond that is essential to success. We're also becoming friends. And, in life,as one knows, a friend is to be valued and treasured, as a TRUE friend is hard to come by. And when you put your health, your well being, your LIFE in the hands of your trainer, it is a good thing when you trust him with those things, it is a good thing if he is your friend. We're going to do this together, I know it in my heart. So I am home, where I should be, where I belong, making all my dreams happen, with Syd at Destiny's. Syd is my guy, I am home.