Friday, September 28, 2012

Sticks And Stones

It's been a tough week on the physical side of things. I was forced to use a chiropractor due to some severe tightness in my back, causing me to feel some jarring pain. I was still able to train thankfully but definitely not at 100%. Also functioning with a bruised rib, which doesn't feel that bad compared to my back! I found my head in the toilet the last 3 days as well, at least I'm working hard. And I have some added accessories, a blackened eye and a fat lip from wednesday's session with my new training partner Mark. So. I'm a little banged up, I'm not looking for any pity, just simply updating the journey.

An important part of training is shadow boxing. When a boxer shadow boxes, he is similating a fight, an opponent is in front of him and he/she is moving, slipping, punching, counter-punching, the whole thing. It isn't as easy as you think, actually, it's pretty exhausting! It also isn't easy pretending that there is an imaginary fighter in front of you, and you are responsible for creating his moves as well. After every movement or sequence, a good boxer's feet will always be in the right position to defend and/or attack. At all times. Aside from that though, shadow boxing will tell you exactly the level of a boxer. you can see the way he moves, punches, everything. A trainer will be able to have a good idea of where a boxer is at, judging solely on the way he shadow boxes. My session with Syd will start with a brief warm-up(get a sweat going) and then a couple rounds of shadow boxing, to see 'where I'm at'. The bell will sound and I begin moving, ending when the bell goes off again, I will look at Syd immediately after my round of shadowing. It is never good! It's almost comical at this point! The best way for me to describe the expression on Syd's face after watching me shadow box is to imagine what he would look like if I stole his car and crashed it into a pole. Obviously I am exaggerating a little, let's just say, he never looks impressed. Today was a huge day for me, after shadowing Syd said that it was okaaaaaaaaaay. We had a little laugh after seeing how happy I was, Syd was disappointed that I was so happy, stating that I shouldn't be happy with just being okay, that I should be striving for perfection! I know he's right, but at that moment I was just happy that after watching me shadow, Syd didn't look like he wanted to give up training and sell the gym! Syd has a lot of charm, a lot of charisma, but unlike most people with these qualities he doesn't have to speak a lot to be this way. Syd is kind, and well respected. Everyone at the gym admires him and adores him, he has that 'presence' about him.All eyes are on Syd and what he is doing, all ears paying attention when he speaks. And he always tells it the way it is.. He may not tell you what you want to hear, but he'll tell you the truth, which actually, is exactly what I want to hear. Everyday I tell Syd that we're ready for a fight, he'll do one of 2 things. He'll either chuckle and say 'we're closer' OR... he'll just chuckle.

Sometimes after some hard training, or it is obvious I'm in pain, Syd will ask me after our session together "Are you sure you want to do this?" I have the same reply everytime. "100%"

 I don't just want to do this, I have to.